I’m sure a lot of you are looking at the title and wondering what on earth I mean by that. Well, that’s what I’m going to share with you now. I’m sharing this because I know a lot of us are trying to be more financially responsible in the new year but we still want to satisfy that enjoyment of the finer things. Many times we think of luxury as something that has to break the bank but it is not necessarily so. The littlest things can add a touch of luxury to your life if you’re intentional in the way you do it. I’m going to share with you 5 ways in which I add luxury to my life without breaking the bank. So here goes:
- Buy your fragrances in Gift sets or at Duty-Free: Everyone knows that a good fragrance can elevate you instantly. A whiff of a nice scent on a person can automatically make you think they’re polished and well groomed. Therefore, it is only fair that we start with scent as our first luxurious item. The secret to having your fragrance last longer and to be the most effective is if you layer it with a body lotion of the same scent. Now, this is all well and good but it can get very pricey and we are not about that life quite yet. So, what I have discovered is that planning really is the key. I figure out a range of fragrances that I’m interested in and wait for the perfect way to get the most value for my coin. One of these ways is by buying at the right time of year; for instance, Christmas time and Valentines or even Mothers’ and Fathers’ day. During these periods, the fragrance stores and brands anticipate gift giving and release lots of gift sets. Honey, it is not a crime to buy yourself a gift set, so definitely pick up one of those, whip that body lotion into your skin, spritz that fabulous scent onto your pulse points and feel like a million dollars (and doubly so because you didn’t pay full price). Another trick is to buy your fragrances at duty-free and save yourself a percentage of the normal price. Of course, this isn’t as easy to do as the first tip because this requires you traveling. However, it is worthy of remembering so you don’t end up purchasing a new fragrance just before you go on holiday when you could’ve bought it at the airport. This is how I got my new fragrance (Narciso Rodriguez -Poudre – which is pictured above) and I feel extra fabulous whenever I spritz it, knowing that I didn’t pay full price for it
- Get a nice coffee table book: I feel like a lot of people don’t realise how the right coffee table book can elevate their living space. My book of choice is this lifestyle book by Tanya Burr (pictured above) and it is pretty, makes my living space look better and it is also useful. I look at it for recipes and tips about clothes and beauty. You don’t have to go for this style though. If you want something a bit more premium, most high-end brands do coffee table books so you can pick one of those up to make your space feel luxurious without forking out thousands on the brand. You can even get to learn about your favourite brand in the process from the information in these books. I call that a win-win. there are so many different types so don’t think this is just restricted to fashion and beauty. There are interior design ones, Instagram ones, architecture, food, pictures and so on. Just pick a topic you’re interested in and look for a beautiful book that covers it. Not only will your home look beautiful, it can ensure that conversation never lulls when you have guests over.
- Look out for brand collaborations: This one is lovely because you can actually get premium branded items for next to nothing. These days, a lot of high-end brands are coming together with more affordable ones to create accessible items. My item of choice here is one of the lipsticks from the L’Oreal x Balmain collaboration. I was so excited when I saw this collaboration and was even more so when I got my hands on one of them. It cost only £12 which is less than a Mac lipstick and you get the Balmain branding on your item. It is a lovely lipstick and whenever I wear it, I feel so bougie but I didn’t spend bougie money :). h&m is really good at doing these sorts of collaborations in the fashion industry and Nars is another beauty brand that frequently collabs with artists to make the most beautiful, artistic makeup. So, if you want to have something a little bit more premium without the added price tag, keep your eyes peeled for those because they usually sell out fast.
- Buy small leather goods from your favourite brands: This one is pretty self-explanatory. There might be a brand that you are absolutely in love with but spending thousands of pounds is just not an option right now. One way to buy into the brand is to buy small leather goods or even just small goods. Things like wallets, card holders, belts and even sunglasses are good ways to have that luxurious arms without breaking the bank. My item of choice here is the YSL cardholder because I love the brand and I also needed a new cardholder. So, I decided to treat myself after I achieved some things this year. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself sometimes, as long as it is within your budget. Therefore, if you’re into that sort of thing, choose a small item from your favourite brand and work towards it :).
- Plan some me time: This is possibly the most luxurious thing on the list and I say this because it is something a lot of us don’t get to have. We live in a very fast-paced world with a lot of things coming towards you from different angles. Social media to catch up with, work to do, an additional source of income to find, chores to do at home and so on. What we really need to do is to switch off and hear ourselves think, relax and zone out. This can be done by having a nice bubble bath, having a glass of wine (or even the whole bottle, haha), drinking some hot chocolate, reading a nice book etc. My thing of choice here is a nice book, which is usually accompanied by either wine or a bar of chocolate. Trust me, if you read a good book, in bed, with some fresh sheets on and a snack of your choice, it can be the most luxurious thing ever.
I hope you’ve picked something up from this post, if you have any other tips to add, please leave them in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you. Until next time, Ciao x